What Is Chemical Body Peel
The face gets all the attention. But if you take off your clothes, like on a beach, you will see layers of fine lines, hyperpigmentation, acne breakouts, and other issues all over the body.
There can be dry and dull skin throughout your body. This will become more pronounced as we age, caused by several reasons like the skin losing its health and shine because of advancing age, natural elements, sun damage, and even a poor diet.
Luckily, there is one solution to them all – a chemical skin peel. It can even out your complexion, smoothen the bumpy and rough skin, slough away the acne, improve your skin tone, and achieve many other good results.
What Is a Body Skin Peel?
A body chemical peel is a process where a chemical substance like salicylic acid (BHA) or glycolic acid (AHA) is applied to exfoliate the skin. This is why it is also called skin exfoliation. Here, the dead skin cells will be removed from the surface of your skin, which not only achieved skin brightening but also speeds up the formation of new, healthier skin.
Follow-up treatments are required even if you get the best chemical peel for body. You will see your overall appearance improve. The treatment can solve sun damage, sunspots, dryness, acne scars, and will give you smoother, softer, and more radiant skin. You may need to take three sessions. The sessions are held anytime between 4 to 6 weeks. You will see an improvement after each session.
However, do remember, the solution will vary for each person, as the skin cells vary from person to person. First, an expert aesthetician at a clinic or med spa is going to see the condition of your skin and decide the right approach. It also depends on the size of the target area.
You must inform the person if you have any allergies and also about the medicines you are taking presently. Call tel: 718-728-2590 to schedule your appointment with an expert.
How Does The Body Peel Treatment Work?
Peels usually work by weakening the connection between the top layer of your skin and the cells. It refreshes your appearance as the dead skin cells are removed as the BHA or AHA acid breaks the bond between the dead skin cells. You get an improved tone and glowing complexion. The cell turnover is also increased, which is how the skin conditions like fine lines and hyperpigmentation are treated.
They are referred to as chemical peels but the acids used in the process are actually naturally occurring compounds from plants and foods, such as citrus, milk, and willow bark. For example, lactic acid, which is an AHA, is found naturally in sugars and milk. It is also a part of our skin cells, responsible for keeping it moisturized. The main benefits of using lactic acid, include a
“firmer, thicker skin, resulting in fewer fine lines, wrinkles, and acne lesions”.
This is why even a full-body peel is always healthy. There are very few risks in this procedure.
Chemical Peel for Body Treatment
The peel treatment can be administered on different parts of your body –
- Legs and Arms – This can remove the sandpapery skin on your knees and elbows. The cosmetic chemical peel can also fix sun damage, freckles, and erase pimples or tiny bumps, which are actually the dead skin cells that are plugging your hair follicles.
- Scaly and Rough Skin – Get rid of dead skin on body to get smoother skin and improved appearance. A peel with Trichloroacetic or TCA is a mild agent that can also be applied to the bikini areas and can also cure ingrown hairs.
- Body Acne – Acne and acne scars form on your face and also on the whole body. Body acne on the back is often called “bacne”. There are acne scars on the buttocks and other areas. A chemical peel with salicylic acid can unclog the pores, which clears away the blackheads and unsightly pimples.
- Cure Elephant Skin – Many people have low levels of collagen-proteins and elastin, which prevents the skin from stretching and contracting easily. This gives rise to the condition, commonly called elephant skin. This is usually seen in the neck, chest, and shoulders. The skin in these places gets wrinkled. A chemical peel for body treatment with a glycolic solution can help solve the problem. You will get glowing, supple, and soft skin.
- Dark Spots – The peel can lighten the targeted skin area, improving pigmentation, which can be caused by hormones. The process can remove dark spots from your back, knees, legs, and arms. A lightening agent with hydroquinone is usually recommended for those who have a darker skin tone.
- Stretch Marks – These are a kind of scarring in the dermis or the middle layer of the skin. We get these marks when the skin gets torn or pilled because of quick changes in body shape. It can happen from weight gain, weight loss, or when a woman becomes pregnant, for example. The human skin is elastic. However, collagen is disrupted when it gets overstretched, thus forming these stretch marks. A chemical skin peel rejuvenates the skin’s surface layer.
Benefits of a Professional Peel Treatment
There are many benefits –
- It treats wrinkles caused by aging and sun damage
- It eradicates the dark spots and stretch lines
- Improves the appearance of mild scars
- Can treat some kinds of acne and its scars
- Reduce the fine lines from around your mouth and below the eyes
- Reduce freckles, age spots
- Can improve the feel and look of your skin
- Is effective in treating bumpy skin
- Reduces hyperpigmentation
Risks and Side Effects
The solution is usually risk-free. There can be some redness or irritation in some instances, but they are usually minor problems that go away in a few days. Always approach a board-certified dermatologist or your therapist if you see any such issues.
Remember, after you get the process done, your skin will become more sensitive to the sun temporarily. So make sure that you use sunscreen daily. Don’t worry, as this condition will go away quickly in a few days. Also, make sure to limit exposure to the sun, particularly between 10 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Wearing a wide-brimmed hat is always a good idea.